Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A Week of Firsts


It is the beginning of the week and I am already emotionally exhausted from the excitement of school starting and from the tinge of sadness that my babies are growing up.  It is a week of firsts...first day of kindergarten, first day of preschool, and Sawyer's first soccer game on a team (she played soccer last year but she didn't have a designated team and it was not her favorite).  September is also the FIRST birthday month for Decker.  How is our newborn already almost a one year old?!  Good heavens I need to sit down.  Oh wait, I am sitting down.  Good heavens, I need a hug, I can't stand how fast it all goes by.  A friend of mine made the comment once that the days are long but the years are short, I don't think she could be any more right.  So grateful I scored the awesome job of being a mom, I would be missing out on a lot if I didn't have this gig.

Sawyer's first day of kindergarten was a "mommy and me" type of day, so I got to stay with her while we had a class orientation.  I loved seeing the excitement and thrill of the new school year splattered across her face - seriously, the kid loves school and I love her for it.  She said the best part of the day was getting to meet her new teacher. 






On the second day of school when I dropped Sawyer off I asked her how she was feeling and she said "Excited!!!".  As she happily got out of the car and walked towards her classroom I started to sob.  Pretty sure anyone that saw me during kinder drop off saw my ugly cry face which I was trying unsuccessfully to hide.  Day three was a little easier but I still missed her like mad.  Sawyer wanted extra snuggles at bedtime tonight and of course she got them.  Even though she is growing up she is definitely still my baby.  Forever.  




Sawyer loves to play outside, ride her bike, color, paint, make beaded jewelry (it is fair to say she likes just about any project), likes to help fold laundry and carry her baby brother.  Sawyer is still a pretty picky eater  but loves a morning sippy cup with chocolate milk (this is her guilty pleasure...she doesn't like anyone else to know about this sippy cup situation).  This girl swims liIt is the beginning of the week and I am already emotionally exhausted from the excitement of school starting and from the tinge of sadness that my babies are growing up.  It is a week of firsts...first day of kindergarten, first day of preschool, and Sawyer's first soccer game on a team (she played soccer last year but she didn't have a designated team and it was not her favorite).  September is also the FIRST birthday month for Decker.  How is our newborn already almost a one year old?!  Good heavens I need to sit down.  Oh wait, I am sitting down.  Good heavens, I need a hug, I can't stand how fast it all goes by.  A friend of mine made the comment once that the days are long but the years are short, I don't think she could be any more right.

Harper's first day at preschool was a meet and greet kind of day so I was with her as well.  She made a card for her new teacher and told me that she couldn't wait to give her a hug.  She was really sweet and polite when she got to see her new classroom but with the excitement of the new toys to play with she forgot to give the teacher the card.  I hope when I drop her off tomorrow she is equally as excited and doesn't get sad that I don't get to stay with her. 





Harper is our ball of energy that can seriously run, swim, jump, and roll all day long.  She is really athletic and her strength is impressive.  She has been taking gymnastics with her cousin Mazie and she really enjoys it.  Harps can be the sweetest most cuddly little thing and she often requests to have her back tickled as she is falling asleep.  Although sweet, this child has a mischievous side and can't help but color on herself with markers and occasionally swipe a crayon across one of our walls.  She knows how to drive her big sister crazy but if Sawyer is ever really sad, Harps is the first one there to give her a hug.  She loves being a big sister and she is always willing ke a champ and is almost always up for a game of catch or instructions from her dad on how to throw a football, swing a bat, or score a soccer goal.  Singing and dancing and performing are totally her thing although my fingers are crossed that she has more talent in those departments than I ever did.  

Lucky for me Decker is stuck with me for two more years before he gets to ditch his old lady and head off to school.  He is definitely changing right now and getting ideas of his own and he knows what he wants, but I am cherishing every second of it that I can because I know all too well how quickly it goes by.




Decker is practically a one year old and he still isn't walking but he pulls himself up onto everything, crawls like a little speed demon, loves opening and closing (and taking everything out) of cabinets, can crawl up stairs, has 5 (almost 6) teeth and we are pretty sure molars might be pooping through too, says "Mama", "Dada" and "Bubba", is still breastfed, typically sleeps 12 hours at night, loves to snuggle with a soft blanket, is obsessed with water and enjoys being in the pool, gives high fives, waves, and points and gives open mouth kisses.  

Ours kids are all so very different but they all share the same passion for life and the same eagerness to play hard and have a good time.  





I am sure this is not our last week of firsts, but it does seem pretty monumental getting two kids into school and having one about to celebrate their first birthday.  

I sincerely adore these kids and I don't think their dad is half bad either.  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...