Wednesday, September 21, 2011

fractured.

Today Sawyer fractured her elbow.  When I picked her up from preschool she was looking sad and sitting on her teacher's lap.  I soon found out that she had been pushed off of the trampoline and her arm hurt.  This happened at 10:30.  I picked her up at 11:30 from school.  From 11:30-2:30 Sawyer didn't move from our couch and she certainly didn't move her arm.  She said her arm hurt but it looked fine to me. Sawyer had a doctor's appointment at 3:15 after Marc got home from work (I wanted Marc to be here to watch Harper)...the doctor looked at it for maybe 2 minutes and said "She definitely has a fracture" and sent us to the emergency room at Mission.  They wanted us to go to Mission because they thought she was going to need surgery to reset it.


Sawyer was really patient waiting in the emergency room and she was so brave when the doctor's and nurses looked at her arm.  When the doctor was lifting her arm to examine it Sawyer did not even cry, we didn't see tears until the x-rays when Sawyer had to bend her arm and lift it at the same time, that wasn't her favorite.


We found out Sawyer had fractured her elbow but was fortunate to not need any surgery.  I was sad that Sawyer had to be dealing with this, but I thought about other people that had also gone through that emergency room and their ailments were much worse.  Over the nurse's walkie-talkie we heard that there was a patient in full cardiac arrest, I was grateful we were there for an arm.


Sawyer got a temporary cast and she goes back next week to the orthopedist to get her hard cast on.  She seems like a happy camper tonight and she so sweetly said to me "Mom, thank you for fixing my arm"...she is the cutest.   She then asked me if I was happy now that she is all better.  I am happy that she is happy, I guess that is all that really matters.


Laying on the couch all afternoon, all she wanted was to be snuggled.


When she fell asleep on me I started to think something really must be wrong.


Sawyer really didn't want to go to the doctor, so I bribed her with some candy. 


We did a lot of waiting around today, but it wasn't as bad as I was suspecting.  Sawyer enjoyed the books in the waiting room and was thrilled that the people at Mission gave her coloring stuff once she got into a room (although she had to color left handed which created somewhat of a challenge for her).


She was a little concerned with the hospital bed but eventually warmed up.


Sawyer is already adjusting to doing things one handed and she doesn't seem frustrated.  I know I would be so annoyed with an injury like that, but she isn't too bothered by it (yet).


How much do you want to bet that she chooses a pink cast next week? :)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...